Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock

Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:04:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

At 1:21 PM -0400 6/26/02, Flak Magnet wrote:
>I think it's a matter of how the belts are put together.  Our "belts"
of
>ammo are cartridges linked together by metal "clips" called links.  A
>link clips onto one cartridge and has a "hook" that is locked around
the
>next cartridge by the link that's clipped onto that cartridge.
>
>http://www.twobittraining.com/CAP/graphics/belt3.gif
>Note:	This is an image of 7.62mmNATO M-60 ammo.  Pretty much all of
our
>(US) small arms belted ammo is built this way.  The orange-tipped
rounds
>are tracers, of course.  Great for letting you know where your rounds
>are going, as well as letting the NME know where they're coming from.

These are disintegrating links. There are non disintigrating links as
well as belts (textile/cloth) with folds every so often where a
cartridge is pushed.

Disintegrating links are set up so that you have two loops that wrap
around the first round from one side and another loop that wraps
around the next round from the other side. A group of links in line
allow you to pull a bullet from one link pair (left/right) and break
the belt of ammo. The M60 and M2 Mgs use this kind of link. Naturally
there are different sizes and specific configurations. Some are
closed loop (M2 and M9 links for 50cal) others are open loop (M15a2
50cal).

Other types of disintegrating link are a single clip with a ring that
attaches to the next link. Pulling the round allows the ring to fall
away separating the links together. ie M12 for 20mm.

Non disintegrating links are arranged such that a single clip is
attached to another such that even when rounds aren't in the links,
the belt is still continuous. These were used in guns like the MG42
or 34 and in the BESA MG in British service.

Belts can be a simple belt with folds woven (M1919) into them or they
can be more complex with folds and locating tabs with brass grommets
(vickers).

The belts, metallic link or cloth, are of course a fixed length
requiring the changing of the belt when the ammo ran out.
Disintegrating link that had open loops allowed for a soldier to clip
a new belt onto the belt that is just hanging out of the feed tray on
the MG and not open the action to feed a new round. Some of the non
disintegrating links/belts have starter tabs on them that allow one
to feed the tab through the action and after cycling it two times
have that belt/gun ready to go.

Re linkers, there are many forms but the basic model used with the
vickers or on the M42 is a device that clips to a table and has a
hopper for new rounds to be fed into. The belt is fed in and by
virtue of a crank handle, you get loaded belt out the other side.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock