Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: JUNGLE PATROL

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:58:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

At 6:46 PM +0200 6/24/02, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>>From http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/South-Georgia.html
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>Guerrico finally made her way out of range.  Later an Argentine
>>officer counted over 1,000 hits to her structure. The Royal Marines
>>had taken on a warship, and won the fight. While
>
>The Guerrico was hurt, yes... but as soon as she had moved out of
>the Royal Marines' weapon range range she opened up with her 100mm
>gun again, causing the Marines to surrender. To say that the Royal
>Marines "won the fight" on this occasion is similar to saying that
>Al Gore won the latest Presidental elections in the United States :-/

Well true, but I never said they won did I.  I said they worked the
ship over, then surrendered. Its not a normal occurrence for infantry
to hurt a ship of far heavier capability in firepower to suffer such
a severe mauling.

Additionally, the detachment of 20 marines nearly screwed the entire
little invasion of South Georgia. The Invasion was a success but at a
pretty heavy cost compared to the opposition faced by the Argies.
Given that the Royal Marines suffered one casualty and the Argies
suffered quite a few as well as a helocopter destroyed and a frigate
badly damaged, the Royal Marines gave far better than they got. How
does all this relate?

The Argies thought they had an unopposed invasion, then suddenly they
were getting their asses handed to them. Then it's realized that this
tiny force of 20 men was a hands-breadth away from scuttling their
entire plans. As it was, the Argies were very respectful of the
Marines when they took their surrender. And the RMs were very
respectful when they returned a few months later to take the Argies
and guard them after their surrender.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: JUNGLE PATROL