Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: RE: [HIST??] Culture shock

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:30:32 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

At 11:16 PM -0400 6/23/02, Laserlight wrote:

>It's very easy to think "I know that X doctrine is thus" and find out
>to your chagrin that this particular opponent isn't doing what he's
>supposed to.  You can assume he's doing what he's supposed, but you
>risk falling into a trap.  Or you can be cautious and creep along,
>preserving your unit--but you lose the opportunity to destroy the
>enemy, or you fail to relieve one of your other units in time.
>Not to mention the fact that your subordinates have minds of their

As it's been stated on this list and on others that I've been on, the
biggest thing the Germans hated about Americans was that we don't
always operate according to our own SOPs. This drove more than a few
Germans nuts in how to deal with US troops. Another characterization
was that US troops seemed accustomed to working in Chaos as a matter
of course.

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: RE: [HIST??] Culture shock