Prev: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY? Next: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY?

RE: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World C up

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:32:38 +1000
Subject: RE: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World C up

G'day,

> Most Europeans, even a lot of Americans, don't really grasp
> the size of this country, or the variety contained inside it.

When I was in Europe that couldn't get how big Australia was until I
started
explaining that where I would be going to Uni was the same as my parents
being in Stockholm with me in Lisbon... the other ones that got them
were:
1) There is no bridge between Tassie and the mainland
2) New Zealand is a separate nation and not an island jutting off
Queensland
3) We have stations (farms) that are larger than some European countries
and
I'm not talking about the Luxemburg size ones
4) Travelling 5 hours for a hamburger was not something the rural
populace
of Australia would worry about (though it probably casts some doubt as
our culinary sophistication)
5) Yes Australia does have snow, and washing machines and television...

As to unnerving events in airports, I was travelling at the time of the
Gulf
War, there was a change of planes in Singapore, I forgot to take my
ventalin
inhaler out of my pocket and so set the metal detector off, I got patted
down.... I found out (at the point of many automatic rifles) that a
ventalin
inhaler rather resembles a small handgun in shape if its inside your
pocket
at the time.... my ventalin is now the first thing in the tray when I go
through the metal detector (and thankfully the new machines mean I don't
have to prove my laptop works, explaining dual-boots to airport scanning
staffers can be a bit of a time consumer).

As to the world cup, Australia is steadfastly refusing to comment as to
the
logic/fairness of the selection process ;P ;)

Cheers

Prev: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY? Next: Re: GUN CRAZED COWBOY?