Prev: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers Next: RE: [Figs] Modern or scifi compatible

Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:53:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

> Sorry this is all mushed together but for some reason my server is
giving me
> two copies of some emails and no copies over others, mostly JohnA's
(maybe
> my server doesn't like yahoo?).

Not just you.  I got Roger's reply to you several hours ago, just got
yours, and haven't yet gotten John's or Adrian's message that you're
replying to.

> > when putting together a platoon TO&E (for Stargrunt) to
> > have an idea of how that platoon fits into a Company and
> > Battalion.
>
> Now I have to go learn more fancy names? ;P ;)

"If you're going to design a Lab, it helps to know how it fits in with
the Department and College."  :-)

> existing militaries I guess). Each "region" of the "nation" provides
> platoon which has its bit to cover normally (and so needs a bit of
> everything) and get grouped as needed when push comes to shove.

   A platoon is only about 35 guys, normally.  Yours are a bit larger,
of course, but a platoon isn't big enough, or diverse enough, to be
able to fight independently.  You don't have to put a company on the
table but you should at least know what it has.
  Think of your higher echelons as being a source of "guest stars" for
the battle.  You don't want a sniper/tank/VTOL/PA unit in *every* game
but you can say "battalion assigned me a sniper element" when you want
one.

 > > So, having a squad of them in EVERY infantry platoon is a huge
> > investment of your total force in Pioneers.
>
> True enough, but I was coming from the thought that it was a
reflection of
> the skills the population

Your population gets a lot of practice breaching minefields in
everyday life?