Prev: RE: [SG] Platoon make up, exoskeleton PA and drones Next: [OT] Completely off-topic and useless celebrating re: World Cup

RE: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [SG, DS] Combat Engineers

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> What about places like Omaha beach or has stuff
> changed lots since then (or
> was that exceptional circumstances?)?

First day at Omaha was purely breaching and assaulting
fortified positions.  After they pushed the Germans
back then they got on with port construction and so
forth.

> > Yes.  Light combat engineers tend to operate out
> of
> > their HMMWVs almost exclusively during defensive
> > operations (would you like to carry a couple
> hundred
> > land mines in your pack??),
>
> Now no, when they're down to the size of a 5c piece
> may be ;P

5c piece?  Not likely. . .

> > What do we carry?  Depends on the mission.	I've
> > carried satchel charges, bangalore torpedos,
>
> I've head of them, what do they look like?

I tried to find a picture of 'em, but the demolitions
manual is locked.  Imagine that.  Someone else
described 'em already.

> > Not all at once.  In addition to fighting load and
> > weapons and so forth.
>
> So If I got Mr standard trooper and added a
> grappling hook/satchels etc that
> would be enough?

Probably.  Pick a troop with a full rucksack and hang
more stuff on him.  :)

John