Prev: Re: armor penatration - angle is important Next: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:07:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!

<books@jumpspace.net>
> wrote:
>
> >So how do you plan tracking which units have activated with these
> >chitless paperless systems?
>
> Good question!
>
> The easiest way is with activation markers! In FT you place a marker
when a
> ship has been fired ("activated") in combat.

Well, the way *I* do it is to make a little tick mark on the SSD
(usually
around the movement orders section). If anyone asked which have fired,
no problem telling them. This won't work with munchkins so well, though,
as they'll circumvent until caught by someone with a good memory. But
then again, most of the people I've played with aren't munchkins, so...
:-)

>Do the same with SG2. Only, to
> keep up apperances, use small rocks. I bought a bag of landscaping
gravel from
> Wal-Mart or Home Depot. It was something like $3 for 20 lbs of gravel.
In it,
> I got big chunks I use as boulders. There are plenty of others that
are pebble
> sized that could be used as activation markers (I have a big tub full
of
> useful rocks, and I _still_ have half a bag left!).

Man, you're a big-spender!! I'm still trying to save my money. I go
cheap. I visit a local construction site, or pull stuff out of gravel
roadways for this.  :-)

>Plop a rock beside the
> squad when it's activated, pull the rocks at the end of the turn. Just
make
> sure the rocks are "noticable" with regard to the rest of the terrain.

Good point. I guess paint 'em, eh?

> Here's another idea. Assuming you have some sort of marker on the
table for
> these things, like the "rally point" base you put the leader figure
in, you
> could always indicate one side of the base with a shrub or something.
That
> shrub, facing "north" (pick a table edge) is unactivated, rotated 180
degrees
> is activated.
>
> You could do the same with figure facing. If the leader is facing
"north",
> it's unactivated, if facing south then the squad has been activated.
The
> problem with this is that we all know figures get knocked over. It's a
lot
> harder to rotate a base.

Also, I don't know about your group, but my figs generally face the
way they are going to be shooting, activated or no. To me, they'd look
kinda silly all facing one direction (say, "north" where the enemy is
located), except for the leader who is facing "south" after activation.
But ymmv.  :-)

Prev: Re: armor penatration - angle is important Next: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS