Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!

Re: armor penatration - angle is important

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:19:17 +0200
Subject: Re: armor penatration - angle is important

Roger Books wrote:

> >I am new to the list so if I goof up on this, have some forgiveness
and
> >don't flame out.
> >Let me know if  "wrong list", "off the subject" or something else
wrong.

> >I read one of the articles about angled armor and I believe the
author
> >missed the point. The angle that an AP (armor piercing) round hits at

> does matters
> >and makes the armor effectively thicker.
>
>Sorry about the late reply, I'm going through old e-mails.
>
>What was finally determined is sloped armour is no better for
>thickness of armour than an _equivalent mass_ of non-sloped
>armour.  As a matter of fact it may be a bit worse because
>you need a larger undercarriage to have the same internal
>volume.
>
>However... Sloped armour increases the chance of a glancing shot.
>This is where you gain.

Sorry for the even later reply, but... er, no, that's not it :-/
Glancing
shots are not very common at all - IIRC a modern round (KE or HEAT,
doesn't
matter much) needs an angle of attack of 80 degrees or more from the
perpendicular to have a significant chance of being deflected

However, there are at least four other areas where you do gain:

1) the sloping armour also serves as your top armour

2) if the hit does not hit perpendicular to the armour face in the
horisontal plane - and it usually doesn't - then a sloping armour plate
"gains thickness" much faster than a vertical one (this can be shown by
, and

3) if you're talking about composite armours rather than WW2-style solid

steel, sloped armour layers are much better at breaking up a KE
projectile
or HEAT jet than vertical ones.

4) if you *are* talking about WW2-style solid steel plates, it is much
harder to make thick plates of armour-grade steel than it is to make
thin
plates so by sloping your armour you improve the effective armour
thickness
without having to increase the actual thickness of your armour plate.

I'll stop here :-/

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!