Prev: Re: DS/SG Landings Next: Re: DS/SG Landings

Re: DS/SG Landings

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:22:25 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: DS/SG Landings

Robert Minadeo schrieb:
> > If your intention is to grab and hold territory, you
> > want to go in fast with large numbers and elite forces to overwhelm
the
> > defenders. Once the objectives are taken, you can ferry in the
garrison
> > forces and remove the Space Marines at your leisure.
>
> Would not surprise me to see things done this way but it
> would be prudent to be able to recover the assault troops if the
defenders
> are not quite so overwhelmed as your staff assured you they would
bee.

In an ideal world, you are right.

> In other words under this line of thinking the assault
> force is operating similar to WWII airborne forces, "victory or
death.

But assume ressources are limited.
Assault landers/recovery vehicles are expensive/rare/take up lots of
cargo space, drop pods are cheap/plentyful/easily stowed.

You don't have enough assault landers to overwhelm the opposition with
them alone. Add the drop pods and can bring in (hopefully) sufficient
numbers.

Do you go in with drop pods or cancel the operation because of
insufficient landers ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: DS/SG Landings Next: Re: DS/SG Landings