Prev: Interesting (if expensive) Pewter Figures for Star Wars Next: Re: [OT] Star Wars Geek Humour

Re: Weapon Modelling

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 18:32:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Weapon Modelling

"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:

> The Irrepressible Richard said:
> <snip>
> >A function that I would be interested in testing would be a base
value plus a modifier that depended on the (mass)^(2/3), minus a
modifier that depended on the square of the thrust.

> I'm assuming that function is to develop the area of the ship which is
exposed to fire?  And assumes that all your ships use the same
proportion length/width/height?  How much of a spread do you want?  For
example, my Mass 3 Goalie has a result of 2, a mass 250 SDN has a result
of 40 (based on mass, with no modifier for thrust).

The function is to develope a value based on the volume the ship could
be in, and its size.

We need some simplifying assumptions,or we need to account for
targetting aspects, so I simply assumed that all spacecraft are spheres.
 As for the range of values, we probably only want half of mass^(2/3),
so mass 3 to mass 250 has ranges from 1 to 20.	For the thrust
adjustment, the maximum reasonable thrust is 12.  The square is
144, so we probanly want thrust^2 divided by 6.  This means that low
thrust is negligible.  We have to assume that all values less than 1 are
equal to one, and the first range band is always out to 6.  Mass 8,
thrust 8 gives a modifier of -6 and mass 250, thrust 2 gives a modifier
of 19.	Use a base of six and the escort's bands are
(6,7,8,...) and the SDN's bands are (25,50,75,...).

Prev: Interesting (if expensive) Pewter Figures for Star Wars Next: Re: [OT] Star Wars Geek Humour