Prev: Re: WARNING - ON TOPIC - INDEPENDANCE DAY Next: RE: WARNING - ON TOPIC - INDEPENDANCE DAY

Re:[SG] conversion for WWs

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 01:06:47 -0400
Subject: Re:[SG] conversion for WWs

Hi Beth,

You're probably going to get a dozen answers to this, but I thought I'd
kick in my $0.02 anyway :)

>Do bolt action rifles count as Low-Tech Assault Rifles or are they
poorer
>still? And the tommy guns are they OK to be treated just as SAWs? I
guess
>it'd be OK if both sides were using WWIIish troops, but what if I'm to
>spring them on Derek's NSL Panzergren's?

In SG terms, I'd use bolt-action rifles as FP:0.5 with Impact d8 or d10
maybe.	They wouldn't qualify as a low-tech assault rifle.  That would
be
something like the AK47.  A bolt-action military rifle is more like a
hunting rifle than any of the other SG weapons.

Tommy Guns are short range and low-power (compared to, say, a proper
assault rifle or a battle rifle).  They use pistol ammunition.	They
would
properly be used as a submachinegun.  Something like FP 2 or 3 and
Impact
d6.  And probably range limits too - like they could only fire in the
first
2 rangebands or something.

Looking at a few Aussie, Brit and US WWII examples:

Owen (that was the WWII Aussie SMG, wasn't it?) - FP:2 IMP:d6
Lee Enfield Bolt Action Rifle - FP:0.5 IMP:d10
Springfield '03 Bold Action Rifle - FP:0.5 IMP:d10
M1 Garand Semi-Automatic Rifle - FP:1 IMP:d10
Browning Automatic Rifle - FP:d6 IMP:d10
Sten SMG - FP:2 IMP:d6
.50 Machinegun - use as RFAC 1
Boys antitank rifle - use as HAMR
BREN light machinegun - FP:d8 IMP:d10
Thompson SMG - FP:2 IMP:d6

For those who were wondering, my assumptions were that the Impact d8
weapons would be approx equivalent to modern 5.56mm rounds.  The WWII
large-bore rounds used in all the standard WWII rifles, and the modern
7.62mm Nato type ammo would be IMP d10.  I'd leave IMP d12 to things
like
the gauss rifles, or modern weapons like the .300 Wetherby Magnum or
something like that - much heavier hitting than "standard" military
ammo.

Given that the SMG ammo of all types used during WWII has less impact
effect than modern 5.56mm, I thought IMPd6 is appropriate.

The SMG's have FP2 because of limited ammo.  The FP3 weapon examples in
the
game are assault rifles (same rate of fire and ammo capacity as an SMG,
at
a minimum) but with attached GL's.  I wouldn't given any standard WWII
weapons that I can think of an FP3 rating.

I gave the BREN a slightly better FP than the BAR because the BREN had
larger capacity magazines...

The assault rifles that the Germans were starting to use later in the
war
(I forget the names, but there were two I'm thinking of - one had, I
believe, an "MP-something" designation, and the other was the cool
looking
gun made for the paratroops that had a side-mounted magazine and a
pistol
grip that was angled back like a Luger pistol's) would be FP2, IMP d8
(for
the first) and d10 (for the second).

>Going further back and thinking of WWI has anyone tried it in SG and if
so
>how do you represent the "mad minute"?

No idea.  I don't think I'd normally go this far back using SG rules.
At
least, not for trench warfare...  That would just be UGLY in SG terms.

Hope this helps :)

(ps - Ok, so where there any terms/acronyms I should have explained ;)

I've got a bunch of WWII 25mm figs that are really nice, and just
screaming
out for some paint...  Been thinking about doing SG-WWII for a while...

Have fun, and let us know how it goes :)

Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: WARNING - ON TOPIC - INDEPENDANCE DAY Next: RE: WARNING - ON TOPIC - INDEPENDANCE DAY