Prev: Re: [OT] AMERICAN bases Next: [FT] Blake's 7 Ship Stats (clean stamp)

Re: [OT] AMERICAN bases

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 03 Jun 2002 14:27:11 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] AMERICAN bases

On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 13:53, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> Base treaties and financial arrangements concerning American and other
> allied troops in Germany were and are of Byzantine complexity.

Not surprising...  If laws or contracts were kept simple, then the
Politicos and Lawyers wouldn't be able to make the use and application
of them out of the reach of Everyman.

> Quite possible, though that is perhaps just the most visible recent
case.
> Other nasty examples are the hot-rod US Navy pilot who brought down a
fully
> occupied ski lift in Italy, or the US kids (not soldiers, but from
soldier
> families) who thought it was fun to throw concrete blocks on passing
cars on
> the Autobahn.

I remember hearing about a seperate incident while I was in Germany a
few years ago.	The local media was all over it as an American issue
until it came to light that it was two US boys two German boys and a
german girl that were participating.  It wasn't cindeblocks, but
waterbaloons filled with paint/oil etc.

> Not that soldiers or civilians of other countries are not up to
similar
> deeds.

*DING*	Excellent point.

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: [OT] AMERICAN bases Next: [FT] Blake's 7 Ship Stats (clean stamp)