Prev: Re: [FH] americas Next: Re: AMERICANS

Re: [DS]Modelling stealth

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:03:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [DS]Modelling stealth

At 09:47 AM 5/31/02 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello everybody
>
>I am looking for suggestions on how to model DS minis protected by
powerful
>stealth devices, so that when you look at the mini it is obvious they
are
>somehow "cloaked". I want them to look different from just
well-camouflaged
>vehicles.
>
>Any thoughts ?
>(Other than empty bases )

Damn!  There goes my idea....

Well the most interesting way to go would be with the method that Zocchi
used for cloaked SFB ships: cast them in a transparent plastic.  This
isn't
all that easy to do, though I'd like to some enterprising company out
there
give it a try....

Only other option that I can think of isn't all that stealthy in
appearance...but it *is* distninctive, and you can PSB it without any
trouble.  There's this very fine glitter that you can buy in craft
shops,
art supply stores, and (apparently) those places that women go to get
their
nails done.  Art Supply stores sell it as "Embossing Poweder"; I don't
know
what the other places call it.	It comes in several colors; I've seen
silver, red, and blue.

But in any case, you can apply a coat of glossy paint and then while it
is
still wet apply the powder, so it will stick to whatevet bits you've
just
painted.  Let it dry, blow the excess away, and then spray with a couple
of
coats of something protective.	The effect is quite nice, especially if
the
glitter is a high contrast with the base color.

PSB-wise, this can be an Eldar-style "holo field" (which is where I saw
the
idea first used), or some kind of material designed to distort sesnsor
readings...you know, whatever.	Frankly, it looks both cool and
distinctive, and that's what matters.

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
http://www.voicenet.com/~johncrim

Prev: Re: [FH] americas Next: Re: AMERICANS