Prev: Re: [OT] UN civpol Next: Nettings for 25mm helmets

Many things

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:08:40 -0400
Subject: Many things

1. Gurkha news: "Elite" Gurkhas from the
Reconnaisance Company (I think it was a
company) in some English shire are now being
used to train conservation officers trying to
protect rare bird populations. Why? The
Gurkhas are trained (esp these ones) for covert
surveillance activity in advance of a main force.
Their combination of fieldcraft, communications,
OP site selection, operational readiness,
surveillance gear, professionalism and general
"ghost in the woods" abilities make them ideal
trainers for the conservation authorities who
are unarmed, but whose job it is to (without
being detected) surveil and record in evidence
information about crimes (in this case rare bird
egg abductions) being committed and then
they relay this info to the Police for action. Kind
of an interesting use for an elite force!

2) Graveyard scenarios: Very neat idea actually.
Of course, Nyarlathotep or Cthuga would be
interesting visitors.... :)

3) War of 1812: The foremost people who got
screwed were the Indians led by Tecumseh.
When Brock died, that pretty much doomed
their agenda. They stayed and fought when the
Brits kind of bugged out on them. But before
that, Queenston Heights and a few other places
saw to it that the USAians didn't end up staying
up North here too long. Now, OTOH, Canucks
like to trumpet about burning Washington. In
some sense, people who lived or were
stationed here did that... but it was BRIT REGS
(maybe with some irregulars from local area)
that did this, not really Canadians. OTOH, the
only one who'd defend this war as a victory for
the USA would be someone who thinks that they
need to defend such weak claims....

4) Afghanistan: John, Adrian may not have it
entirely right, but I'm afraid the NG flyboy that
dropped the bomb may have gotten a bit
trigger happy. The Canadians are over there
under U.S. authority as an integrated part of
the operation. How exactly is it that the
controller did not say "We have Canadians
training down there!". Did he not know? Did the
pilot not read his advisories? Did someone in
the US or Canadian staffs screw up in the chain
and the notification not get passed on? And
when the controller advised TWICE not to
release ordinance, what was the pilot thinking? I
think there are some screwups that happen. I'm
not out for blood like some folk up here for
several reasons: Bush shouldn't have made a
big deal of it IMO (nor should we). To me, it
was the sad and tragic result of operations in
active theatres. And 4 guys isn't much to the
USA.... you guys kill more soldiers than that in a
typical weekend excercise! For us, that's 10% of
our army! (I'm exaggerating, but the USAF
routinely bombs stuff like US SF, USMC, etc so
this is hardly a new thing for the US CinC) Also,
I'm not about to jump on the pilot until I know
he was the one that screwed up. I don't have all
the facts, nor do you, at the moment. When
both reports come out, we'll see who screwed
up and what fubar situation led to the result.
Was it a staff problem? Did the Canadians not
have some key piece of gear? Was the NG pilot
(and others of his formation) rushed through
requalification courses in order to (on paper)
get the unit combat ready when it really wasn't?
(This has been alleged by former officers from
the unit). Who KNOWS? I find the idea of asking
for his ass on a platter at this point ridiculous,
but so is blaming the Canucks for having the
bad luck to be in the same theatre as the USAF
and trying to do their job. The truth WILL come
out, never doubt it. Someone screwed up. How
about we wait until the reports are out before
we start offending and defending? Or is a
balanced viewpoint to much to ask?

5) Adrian, I'm not sure Canada has been
involved in a war in the last 50 years. If so, only
1. The current "War on Terror" (a lot like the
"War on Drugs") is not a war by any act of
parliament of which I am aware. You cannot, I
believe, by definition, declare war on an NGO.
This is semantic, but it has some important
ramifications.

6) DAWG, I'm sure the people saved from
genocide (and not everyone is, to be sure) by
UN forces (even unarmed ones, by their mere
presence and observation) are thankful. The job
is tough, but I've met a lot of Canadian soldiers
(maybe all the ones that didn't run off to the
States in bitternness?) who seem to understand
the importance of what they were doing and
who understand the contribution they made.
Sure, not every evil has been prevented by it,
but some have. And that's more than not
intervening ever stopped.....

7) Basques in Space: I too like this idea. I think
the Basques would make an interesting and
very distinct force. Anyone care to drum up
some TO&E or notional futurehist?

8) Gurkha figs: Unlike KHR, I like the faces. I find
they look less cartoony than a number of the
NAC faces. Now, are they perfect? Nope. But
they at least are differentiable from the anglo
facial construction, and with some appropriate
paint shades, they look pretty good.

9) WW2: John, hate to break it to you buddy,
but the Germans were going down in any event.
If the US hadn't decided to launch Overlord, it
just would have given the Russians carte
blanche to take the rest of Europe. Yes, the
Yanks had the bomb (sort of). But in-theatre,
the T-34s and the Russian Air Force (often
under-rated, but unjustly so) would have
savaged the US forces if it had ever come to it,
and the battle hardened soldiers who'd fought
their way to the Reich itself could have pushed
the US Army into the sea without the bomb.
Of course, you will choose not to believe it, but
Russia could probably have finished Germany all
by its lonesome.

BTW: I have read accounts from US sources that
suggested that the US would not have been
able to deploy another atomic warhead after
Nagasaki for some months, perhaps even a
long enough period for the Russians to push
the Allied armies into the sea. I've seen
conflicting reports in this area, but the most
credible ones seem to indicate this may have
been the case. Now, of course, the RUSSIANS
had no idea this was true. It's probably one of
the tacit reasons that Churchill was reined in
from his plans to head to Moscow.

PS - I too dislike web-boards. The list, esp with
archives, is a treat. Killfile the people you don't
want to hear from or use the awesome and
godlike power of the delete key! It's kinda like a
Jedi Mind Trick:

<with a wave of the hand> "I do not want to
read this thread."

<presses delete>

"I did not want to read that thread."

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [OT] UN civpol Next: Nettings for 25mm helmets