Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: [OT] Invading America

Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:26:33 +1000
Subject: Re: Opinion - Respect = Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

At 05:53  30/05/02 -0700, John wrote:
>Actually got well more than status quo ante bellum.
>The Brits got the hell out of the Ohio River Valley.
>Stopped impressment (wasn't in the treaty, but it
>stopped).
>
>All against the best and largest navy on the planet,
>and one of the best armies going?

But the war didn't involve whole the navy or the army, in fact neither
side
was able to sustain the war, a case of lengthening and contracting
supply
lines. For the British there were pressing concerns in Europe.

By the way you can also apply your statement to the Vietnam War :)

One of the most interesting things I have found about the perception of
the
US Navy of the period is how people never scratch past the surface, the
US
navy frigates were at first glance better ships, but at that point the
US
Navy was a Brown water navy operating on short cruises relatively close
their bases. As a result their frigates carried more guns, so much so
that
in some cases the number of guns carried actually warped the ship's
hulls.
The British on the other hand went on cruises lasting years and had to
carry the supplies required.

>Damn right that's a victory.

While the rest of the world (including published American texts)
consider
it a stalemate.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: [OT] Invading America