Prev: RE: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas Next: Re: No longer the same old shit!!!

Re: The same old shit!!!

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:20:24 +1000
Subject: Re: The same old shit!!!

At 03:15  30/05/02 -0700, Eric wrote:

>And then they'll be back inside seventy years as the most powerful
military
>on the planet, kicking the Germans out of France in the process.
Twice.

Unfortunately (for American ego's that's not entirely correct) As I
previously mentioned the arrival of fresh American troops had brought
forward the end of the war, but the war was lost to the Germans.

I suggest people go read up on the battles of Hamel, Amiens, Mont St
Quentin and Peronne and of course the Hindenburg Line

For Hamel

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/battles/hamel.htm

or the lot at

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/timeline.htm

The battle of Hamel is significant because it was the first time the
Australian Corp was commanded by an Australian officer Lt. General Sir
John
Monash.

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/people/genmonash.htm

PLUS it was the first time American troops were used in offensive
operations, four companies were attached to gain first hand battle
experience. For a digger's view of the new American troops look here.

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/soldier/sammy.htm

This puts paid to the "fiction" that American troops have only ever been

commanded by Americans, until the British General in the Balkans
recently.
I suspect that this isn't the only case as well.

But most importantly Hamel and the Battle of Amiens put paid to trench
warfare, the war in France had shifted to a mobile phase.

Basically, yes the American troops like everyone else had something to
offer BUT America did not turn up, say "step back guys" and then single
handed boot the Germans out of France.

>Sorry, dude... you've got some rather bad cards to play, I'd say.  I'd
>suggest you fold.

Sorry, DUDE... I don't play cards.

History .... Never as simple as you think, but always interesting :)

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: RE: Cola Wars Re: [FH] americas Next: Re: No longer the same old shit!!!