Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: The same old shit!!!

CAS and abandoning ground pounders was Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:39:40 EDT
Subject: CAS and abandoning ground pounders was Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

On Wed, 29 May 2002 19:47:24 +1000 "Alan and Carmel Brain"
<aebrain@webone.com.au> writes:
<snip>
>> Fortunately, there were no Iraqis out there,
>> because I doubt the USAF could tell the difference
>> between French armored cars driven by Frenchmen and
>> French armored cars driven by Iraqis.
>
>Hell, they can't tell the difference between French
>armoured cars driven by Iraqis and UK AFVs
>driven by Englishmen. Or Canadians and Afghans.
>
>*ZING!* (sound of a cheap shot)

No that's not a cheap shot.  As an ex-zoomie (okay medic ain't pilot)
fro
7 years 3 months 12 days I think we need some CAS 101 here.

Pilot in Air superiority fighter with ability to carry 'boom-lets'
(usually dumb free fall slicks.  More on that later.)  Unlike the
incredibly efficient killer of all that moves A-10 Warthog these
beautiful race horses move too fast to get a good visual (good enough
anyway) and depend on either 1)identification by ground/air controllers
in Army vehicles or light aircraft [Drones are becoming more effective
in
this.  Note I said more effective, not the same as effective] or 2)
pilot
identified targets (shudder! "Well, it had wheels, the Russian things,
what are they called, BTM's... BARs... something like that... have
wheels.  Anyway it had wheels and was facing south and we were advancing
north so I bombed it."	debriefer, "It was a USMC LAV withdrawing from
contact with hostile MBT's."  Pilot, "Oh F___ !" debriefer, "Yeah, 'Oh
F___.' ")

Hence anything acting 'hostile' becomes a threat and the pilots (who
really don't want friendlies dying) tend to plaster it given any
indication it is "Red" forces.	This makes life a little strenuous to
"Blue" forces supported by USAF CAS (wrong term, there is a new one,
probably several generations of terms from the 1970's...)  "You SURE he
knows we are the good guys?"

Add on that most CAS deliveries are something akin to area effect
weapons
or (most common) Mark 82 Slick (Iron Bomb, "Dumb" bombs, free fall bombs
- not too many generations different from WW2, well in theory, despite
increases in explosives, ballistic computers on the more modern
aircraft,
and computer assists in flying attack profiles) equivalents - 500 pounds
of explosive dropped ballistically, which means if you are off a little
at the drop you can't correct it.  You miss far (wasted attack) or short
(a hit, just he wrong army.)  Or to the side (same principle.)	Add on
that that (ground) target recognition is stressed less then air threat
recognition (except perhaps for ground units designed to 'degrade'
(translates as 'try to kill' ) air units effectiveness.  As, from a
pilot's viewpoint, it well should be.  "If it kills me I ain't helping
nobody!")

The USAF has not so much abandoned the US Army as much as implicitly
recognizing that (1) Interdiction is more effective long term then CAS
(true), (2) that CAS is hard to do right and mistakes are fatal to
'your'
troops,  and (3) that the US Army will never be satisfied with the
numbers, kinds of CAS craft the USAF has.  Given the history of the USAF
missions and the helicopter 'deal' between the USAF and the US Army this
is a practical if not necessarily ideal practice.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: The same old shit!!!