Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing

armor penatration - angle is important

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 20:18:30 -0500
Subject: armor penatration - angle is important

Hi all,
I am new to the list so if I goof up on this, have some forgiveness and
don't flame out.
Let me know if	"wrong list", "off the subject" or something else wrong.

I read one of the articles about angled armor and I believe the author
missed the
point. The angle that an AP (armor piercing) round hits at does matters
and makes
the armor effectively thicker.

To test this take a business envelope and  a ruler and hold it
perpendicular to the
envelope and measure the thickness. Do the same thing 30, 45 and 60
degrees off
of perpendicular. What you will find is that the the thickness increases

with the angle.
This was one of the first upgrades in the armor vs AP race that started
about 1840's
and is still going on.

	     Scott Siebold
P.S.  Armored Floating battery used in Russo-Turkish war and angled
armor on
CSS Virginia (USS Merrimack for Northerners)  for example.
PPS: I do have a UN fleet from GZG as well as space fleets from other

Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing