Prev: RE: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery Next: [OT] WWI and change of doctrine

Re: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:36:29 +0100
Subject: Re: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Hamill
  To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
  Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 11:31 PM

    >SNIP<

    When I drove tractor-trailers (only for about a year, it was a "gee
I'd like to try that once" job) I came across another of the company
that I worked for's trucks that had hit a cow. It was a newer model
tractor, thus the body was mostly made out of fiberglass and plastics,
to save weight. When I got there, the police and EMTs were already
there, and trying to save the driver's life. Most modern tractors, at
least the ones that are used by the bigger companies, are built very
lightly for such large vehicles, and are not designed to be able to roll
away from crashes, even with livestock. I had the misfortune to meet up
with a kamikazi turkey vulture in Arkansas, and my truck had to go into
the shop for 3 days before I could drive it again. Now some of the older
models out there, I would place odds on them in a collision with an
APC... ;-)

    John

    JohnDHamill@yahoo.com

  This reminds me of my job, driving busses in town. If you are going to
have a accident with a bus, DO NOT have a accident with the older volvo
B10M bus. These things are built out of offcuts from the forth rail
bridge. I once was a passinger on a double decker bus (11 tonnes empty)
that rear ended one of these at aprox 10 MPH, and the volvo drove back
to the garage, the decker was wrecked. As to bus meets car, the end
results of such are frightening.

  BIF

Prev: RE: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery Next: [OT] WWI and change of doctrine