Prev: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 02:42:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

At 7:08 AM +0200 5/28/02, Derk Groeneveld wrote:

>The american entry certainly tilted the balance for good. However, the
>german final offensive ran out of steam quite on it's own already. As
for
>armies making big messes in WW1, the same can be said for the british
high
>command as has been said about the frenchhigh command. The americans
came

But the British were defending France. Had France gone it alone, it'd
have had far more problems. France's response to the war shouldn't
have been "Yaaay, we won!", rather it should have been, "We're really
damn glad you guys were here!"

>into the war with something of an 'unfair' advantage; they had the
>advantage of having seen their allies make all the mistakes already,
and
>didn't have to make all those mistakes again, themselves.

So the US leadership actually paid attention and didn't let their men
get used as replacements like the other two allies wanted them to be
used. As more cannon fodder for their high commanders.

>P.S. Off-topic? Uh, yes....

Its military mistakes and how not to run a war that looks like it
will be static defenses.

Ryan Gill		  rmgill@mindspring.com
	 |	  |

Prev: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery