Prev: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: Re: Interesting space games

Re: [DS2] Questions

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:48:14 +0200
Subject: Re: [DS2] Questions

Tomb wrote:

>2) Why can't I design a conventional boat with CFE propulsion? (Or is
>this just a CFE plant payed for as FGP?)

I don't quite understand your problem here, since DS2 p. 13, "Riverine
Craft Design" explicitly states that you can use "any" power plant type
for
conventional boats. "Any" would appear to include CFE...

>3) Anyone done stats for something like a frigate (I've got about a
4-6"
>long model I'd love to use). Strikes me it'd be oversize, but are there
>oversize boat rules?

Oversized or Modular, pick your choice. Simply combine the two rule
sections.

>4) Is there a limit to how deep amphibious (as in DS2) vehicles can go?
>Or does this always assume they float?

DS2 assumes that amphibious vehicles either float or move above the
surface. I'd prefer to make a difference between swimming (on the
surface)
and deep fording (under it, eg. by snorkling), but the rules currently
doesn't do this.

>5) LADs: Can you equip a vehicle with multiple LAD systems? If so, can
>they engage multiple targets or repeatedly engage the same one?

LAD always attack all enemy aerospace/VTOL vehicles that both attack the

LAD-equipped unit *and* come within the LAD's range during the turn. Due
the formulation used in the rules each LAD-equipped *element* in the
attacked unit fires once per such enemy vehicle, which makes it somewhat

pointless to have more than one LAD on a unit.

FWIW, I don't think that the DS2 LAD rules work very well :-/

>6) Would a SLAM or Light Artillery be best to simulate rocket attacks
>from landing craft/bombardment vessels?

Depends on what type of warheads the rockets have, what range they're
supposed to have, how accurate they are, whether or not they're capable
of
indirect fires, etc.

>7) Would there be any point to making a conventional boat also
>amphibious?

No. The DS2 "amphibious" modification can only be used by Tracked and
Wheeled vehicles.

>8) If landers appear (for airmobile forces) on the board, if you don't
>buy them as vehicles but just pay the premium per ground unit,
>presumably they are invulnerable.

Read DS2 p.43, left-hand column, 4th paragraf. A lander paid for in this

way does however appear to be unarmed.

>If you buy them as vehicles, presumably they can fly around and be shot
down.

Correct.

>9) What's the easiest way to do LCIs and LCTs?

Using the "Riverine Craft Design" rules on p.13 and spending most or all
of
their capacity on infantry or vehicle carrying capability.

>10) To get assault boats for your leg infantry, do you just buy an
>amphibious mod?

DS2 has no rules for inflatables, I'm afraid. Less man-portable assault
boats are designed using the "Riverine Craft Design" rules.

>11) Someone had GMS/P stats posted for DS2 - anyone got an URL?

Nope. IMO SG2's "GSM/P" category folds into the DS2 "IAVR" category
anyway
<shrug>

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: Re: Interesting space games