Prev: Re: MURPHY AT WAR Next: Re: MURPHY AT WAR

Re: Strine Lesson #144 - Nous

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 20:08:23 +1000
Subject: Re: Strine Lesson #144 - Nous

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@Yahoo.com>

> WTF is nous?	I kind of get it from context, but.

OK, here's the short verison, and then the long one.

SHORT VERSION
Nous. Pronounced to rhyme with "House".

Strine dielect of English.

One possessed of Nous is not entirely a clue-free zone, nor a waste
of Oxygen. Someone with their fertiliser together.

As in http://www.marketingnous.com.au/export.htm
or http://www.nous.net.au/welcome.htm

Also found in Kiwiland, as in:
http://www.synapsis.co.nz/herald/Herald_2000/Herald_column_Nov_22_00.htm
"she has nous" etc.

LONG VERSION
Common Australasian word for "competence", "Understanding" in the Zen
sense.
Buddha-Nature.

>From the Hellenistic Biblical Greek for "mind".

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8392/secphil.html
(use of "nous" in the New Testament)

Quotes: (there are 3 Greek words translateable as "mind")
..Dianoia is the part of the intellect which engages in abstract
reasoning
and moral reflection, in understanding, feeling and desiring
..The second word, nous, refers to philosophical reasoning and logic,
the
mind being used to make moral judgements, understand and know the things
of
God, and reflect on the universe. It is nous which makes dianoia
possible
..The third word translated 'mind', phronema, refers to what a person
has in
his or her mind, the moral preference and world view, the reflection of
priorities, convictions and beliefs arising from dianoia

..'Let him who has nous' says John 'know the number of the Beast' (Rev
13:18),