Prev: [DS2] Questions Next: Re: [DS2] Questions

Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:02:28 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

At 7:20 AM -0700 5/15/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:

>However, while this MAY have been a justification for such designs
>historically, it doesn't hold up in FT.  That's because FTL is FTL
>regardless of ship size, sacrificing armor for strategic speed is
>not necessary for force projection, and tactical speed is easily
>reached, since in space combat you only need thrust to increase or
>decrease speed, not maintain it.

However, the PSB of whether you can perform in-system jumps is a
critical question. If you can' then transit time to the system
periphery and battle maneuverability are more critical. Being able to
attain high speeds in short periods of time could mean the difference
in many battles.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: [DS2] Questions Next: Re: [DS2] Questions