Prev: RE: [modelling] Hover Tank update Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:20:06 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

I'm not the naval historian you gentlemen seem to be, but allow me to
make a
couple observations, and you can then pick them apart. ;-)

Eric Foley wrote:

>Well, the Hood was like the battlecruisers that went down at Jutland in
the
>only way that really mattered, in the end:  her design traded armor for
>speed,

*SNIP*

>the fact remains that
>the battlecruiser concept wasn't really that wildly popular in any navy
>other than the British,

>From the little I've gleaned from reading/watching about British naval
design, the reason for the British reliance on speed over armor,
especially
in the designs fielded at Jutland, primarily lay in the extent of the
British Empire and the need to project force across the entire globe
rather
quickly -- let's call it a need for strategic speed, not tactical speed.

The German navy in WWI, by contrast, focused mostly on defense of the
German
coasts and seas around	them.

However, while this MAY have been a justification for such designs
historically, it doesn't hold up in FT.  That's because FTL is FTL
regardless of ship size, sacrificing armor for strategic speed is not
necessary for force projection, and tactical speed is easily reached,
since
in space combat you only need thrust to increase or decrease speed, not
maintain it.

3B^2

Prev: RE: [modelling] Hover Tank update Next: Re: FB designs & fighters