Prev: Re: [OT] Am back! & archives Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

Re: other GMS types

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:17:37 +0200
Subject: Re: other GMS types

Ryan Gill wrote:

>Yes. But the Cannon already assumes that comms are not DF/Jamable.
>Otherwise every unit that called for artillery or what have you would
be
>targetable specifically.

Assuming that you mean "the rules" or "the canon" when you write "the
Cannon" (cannon rarely assume very much, though their crews probably
do),
direction finding is part of the reason why DS2 doesn't use an elaborate

system for hidden movement and jamming is part of the reason why there
are
communications rolls.

It's just that every platoon and its grandma is assumed to have EW
assets,
so instead of treating each and every EW trooper explicitly in DS2
they're
subsumed into the basic game mechanics. Gives pretty much the same
effect
with much less work <shrug>

>There are a number of unique means of making Comms hard to DF/Jamm. One
is
>LOS lasers. Presumably you can bounce signals off of or direct them too
>LEO SAT right? Or you can lay fiber lines to a remote transmitter
>(multiple units) by means of small drones that are expendable. A drone
>that would run off to beyond the next hill and act as a laser repeater
>another drone would be easy. In this day and age we've gotten pretty
good
>at figruing out where something in the sky or ground is. In that day
and
>age, I expect getting a laser transmitter slaved to a very precise
point
>will be trivial. Even on a moving platform.

Of course. And if you extrapolate today's laser detectors two centuries
or
so into the future, the use of a "naked" laser beam (ie., not traveling
inside a shielded fiber line) for front-line communication might be
equal
to a big "shoot here" sign. And so on...

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [OT] Am back! & archives Next: Re: FB designs & fighters