Prev: Re: [FT] Fighters (the bleeding continues) Next: Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant)

Re: Fighters

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:41:18 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters

At 4:40 PM -0700 5/13/02, John Atkinson wrote:
>--- Tomb <tomb@dreammechanics.com> wrote:
>
>>  True, except that is more a simple CAP role than a
>>  true interceptor
>>  role. And with no operational level game with a
>
>Yeah. . .
>
><snip discussion of operational level game>
>
>If fighters had the legs to go gallivanting around the
>star system on their own, you:
>
>1)Wouldn't EVER see carriers actually on the field.

I can (were I a pilot) fly an F15 to England from Atlanta. I could
even do it with ordinance. It doesn't do much for my endurance on
such a long trip.

In a general method, one expects that fighters are going to be
brought into a system for combat against a target.

>2)Would fight most battles as pure airstrikes against
>groups of starships.

Or against surface targets for Aerospace support of Dirt Side
operations.

>3)Would be playing frickin' HARPOON, not verdammt Full
>Thrust.

But then you wouldn't get to fight aliens, bash the frogs and then
bombard planets...!

>This discussion has massively tended in the direction
>of Harpoon-style rules covering massive complexity in
>fighters.  At which point you need a CAG with a
>complete staff to do your battleplanning (anyone here
>ever played Harpoon besides myself and Don??).  It's

Which version? Minis or with the computer? The newest computer
version is pretty nice. I was playing the Computer game in the first
version about 15 years ago....

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighters (the bleeding continues) Next: Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant)