Prev: Re: fighter waves Next: Re: [OT] Gaming at work ...

Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 17:52:09 -0400
Subject: Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant)

At 11:15 AM -0700 5/13/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>>From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
>
>>Traditionally Interceptors have been either big and fast with lots
>>of stores or somewhere below that. Their primary tactic wasn't to
>>dogfight per say, rather to make slashing tactics on the target at
>>high speed.
>
>I think maybe we should get away from calling them Interceptors,
>since that conjures up images of modern interceptors.	The
>Interceptors in FT actually feel more like superiority fighters.
>See the post I just sent out.

The problem is that we've already got a naming scheme confusion.
Fighters that should be called Attack Space Craft/Planes. If we call
them bombers, then we're running over my still to be played anymore
bomber idea with a mass 2-3 craft designed to run the role of the
B-24/25/17 in the maritime role. A B-25 Gunship role would be pretty
neat. 3 bombers that can rip open a DD in one pass just like the B-25
gunships did.

Additionally, its really a question of how far you really go in the
design and what compromises you make. The A-12 (The SR-71s older
brother) was being tested as an interceptor. It would have had an
amazing interception range if it were placed into production and
service. Not exactly a dog fighter by any means, it would have
handled intercepts (from my understanding) by means of ground control
to a target with terminal guidance using it's own radar and some
means of firing it's rather large nuke equipped AIM-54 like (really
it's predecessor iirc) missile at it's target.

Pretty much the ultimate in terms of interception capabilities with
almost zero response capability from the 'intercept-ee'.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: fighter waves Next: Re: [OT] Gaming at work ...