Prev: [SG] Squidly things Next: [FT] Fighter combat

Re: Fighters

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:42:38 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Ryan M Gill wrote:
> So Class 2's, 3's and 4's will get to engage fighters as well?? Tell
> you lads what, why don't we just ditch fighters and carriers all
> together? Would that be better?
>
> All of the methods you folks are proposing would emasculate carriers.
> Why have carriers?

Class 2's, 3's and 4's will only get to engage fighters if they choose
conserve their endurance and not evade the incoming fire.  I really only
see it being an issue when the fighters are in the 3rd and 4th range
bands, because most ships won't be able to put out too much fire on the
fighters and they'll be distracting the big beams from attacking the
larger targets.  I see it as adding more tactical choices.

Also the amount of endurance available to a fighter is adjustable
without
changing a lot of the game mechanics or previous designs.  So you can
keep
changing with it until the proper balance is achieved, and even then it
can be
changed by house rules to make fighters more or less powerful depending
on
your preferred setting.

One thing I thought about walking home today was whether or not you
should
charge an additional endurance for attacking, or if attacking and
evading
would be included in the same endurance cost.  I think the secondary
should still cost an additional endurance as before.

Prev: [SG] Squidly things Next: [FT] Fighter combat