Prev: Re: [OT] Explosives question Next: Re: RAID!

RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 09:36:12 -0600
Subject: RE: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters

I put terrain as a general item, it could just as easily be rapidly laid
mine fields, an exploded comet or asteroid to generate a cloud of gas or
metal particles to throw off sensors.

The attacker is attacking based on his best recon - i.e. the ecliptic is
empty go in that way.  The defender may have sown it with shielded mines
or set up Beam 4 stations above the ecliptic plane.

The scenario design assumes that the attacker is attacking for a reason
- to destroy the opponent's fleet.  You aren't gaming the scenarios
where one side see's it's overmatched and withdraws.

One fleet may be on patrol in-system or in-transit to station, the
commander decides to stand and fight and will take advantage of any
"terrain" available.  If you don't want too much "terrain" just limit
the number of scenario points to each side, or simply don't allow
terrain and just allow hidden ships and flank attacks.

If a ship has good stealth characteristics, and is not active, you might
not need asteroids to hide with, just sitting out in space "running
silent" might be enough to evade detection until the opponent was too
close to do much about it.  It would definitely make people think twice
about dashing across the board at high speed.  The feel would be like
WW2 submarines against convoys - you'd have an active screening force to
the front and outsides to catch hidden ships before they got to fire.

--Binhan