Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Fighters

Re: FB designs & fighters

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 22:36:03 +0200
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters

Ryan Gill wrote:

>Really all that will happen as I understand it is that the
"effectiveness
>point" for fighters will be moved higher.

The goal should not be to push the "effectiveness point" *higher*. The
goal
should be to transform that "effectiveness point" from the current sharp

breakpoint between "ineffective" and "overwhelming" it is now, to a wide

plateau.

>So then explain to me why St Jon included fighters and carriers in the
>game at all if they aren't realistic?

Because Star Wars has fighters. Battlestar Galactica has fighters.
Babylon
5, although it wasn't aired until well after FT was first published, has

fighters. Lots of Anime has fighters. If you want to create a generic
space
combat game which can be used to game out battles in any of these
backgrounds, that game has to have space fighters.

However... all these shows have one thing in common: they're space
opera.
Science FICTION. Realism as we know it has very little to do with any of
them.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Fighters