Prev: Re: (OT)(SG2) A question, to ARV or not to ARV... Next: Ebay Savasku & JTAS :

Re: '20s boats - was Re: DLD's latest conniving plan....

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 18:27:22 -0500
Subject: Re: '20s boats - was Re: DLD's latest conniving plan....

On Mon, 6 May 2002 18:34:52 -0400 (EDT), "John Crimmins"
<johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:

>Really?  RPG scenario, or wargame?  What system are you using, and
whose Deep One
>miniatures?

Wargame!

I have a number of options for systems, depending on how many figures I
use. I
was planning to do a major Innsmouth raid on the harbour area using SG2.
The
only thing that really needs changed are some HTH rules for the Deep
Ones. I
can also use Beer and Pretzels Skirmish, which should work just fine.
I've
done some testing of Cthuloid scenarios with FMA, and have even worked
out
Cthulhu monster stats for most of the major critters in FMA. This would
work,
though the morale rules in FMA are still up in the air and morale is a
big
deal in a Cthulhu scenario. I have stats for Battleground: WW2 worked
out
using the Arctic Thunder advanced HTH rules, and with morale modifiers.
Finally, I can run it using Demonblade's Shockforce sci-fi rules set, or
even
Warzone.

The figures are Old Glory WW1 marines, RAFM Deep Ones from their CoC
collection, RAFM thugs, police and townsfolk for Deep One hybrids, and
some
old German Call of Cthulhu figures (my memory escapes me, but the name
has
"metal" in it) for a couple of hybrids. Oh, yeah, and a RAFM shoggoth
for one
of the buildings...

>I've had the same idea, you see, recreating the raid on Innsmouth as a
wagame scenario, but
>don't have enough period miniatures and scenery to manage.

I lucked out on scenery. During the post-Christmas sale season I found a
whole
bunch of pier sets. These are mostly resin, but I also got two big 1 ft.
by 1
ft. wharfs that are actually wooden. They are all pre-painted. I have
about 8
or so docks in four different varieties, some moorings for out in the
water,
and the big wharfs.

I haven't made the buildings yet, which is slowing me down. However
Ainsty has
a bunch of street level buildings, which are just walls for the first
floor,
and they would be easy to "copy" in resin or Super Sculpey. I was going
make one or two warehouses in foam board. I do have a Crusader 29 Gothic
looking mausoleum/warehouse building I intend to use.

I need some boats. I looked at the paper boats and they could work, but
I'm
really looking for something more like a rowboat.

>I've decided instead to settle on using FMA for some Delta Green style
scenarios (like trying to
>prevent a pair of would-be Satanists from summoning an avatar of
Nyarlathotep in the middle of a
>crowded mall).

I just ordered the replacement heads for Eureka's SWAT figures that I
ordered
a while ago. I'm going to paint them up as Canada's JTF-2 counter
terrorist
units (because I like the uniform colours and they will make excellent
generic
anti-terrorist guys). I bought a bunch of Greys from Jon, and I have a
few
Mi-Go (yes, I used to run Delta Green! *grin*). I'm planning to do a
"Return
to Tora Bora" raid, with JTF-2 figures going in as Delta Green. The
landscape
is the cavernscape from Geo-Hex, plus some sci-fi containers from GZG,
GZG
"hybernation" chambers and a RAFM mad scientist disection table. It
pretty
much writes itself...

> I have some Mi-Go that need to be painted, and I have a good
collection of
>Serpent Folk, but I haven't been able to obtain a sufficient quantity
of decent-looking Deep One
>figures.  The RAFM ones are nice, but there's not enough variety in the
poses to make them work
>for my purposes.

Those are the ones I plan to use. I have 30 of them primed. They only
have
three poses, but I think it works for Deep Ones. I'd prefer to have Deep
Ones
in different poses, but they don't acutally use anything other than
hand-to-hand weapons. I can paint them subtly different to make them
unique
enough for game purposes. The hybrids from the German company are
smaller than
the other figures, but will do. The townsfolk will be perfect.

I do have everything painted, except the Crusader 29 building/mausoleum
and
the Crusader 29 fence and gate, for my "Ghouls Night Out/Long Night for
Vinny
the Knife" scenario. Gangsters trying to get an informant to talk. In a
New
York graveyard. Around midnight... Again, the scenario writes itself.

All told I have about 4 or 5 Cthulu/DG scenarios in mind. Now if I can
only
figure out what to do with my RAFM Cthulhu miniature...*

* It's probably the wrong size for the Big C, himself, but probably good
enough for a Star Spawn...

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: (OT)(SG2) A question, to ARV or not to ARV... Next: Ebay Savasku & JTAS :