Prev: Re: 15mm vehicle compatibility Next: FT-fighters (and me)

Re: Another tack on fighters

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 00:59:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Another tack on fighters

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Donald Hosford wrote:

> While I don't do fighters much myself, this has raised a question:
>
> (here I use PD meaning all Point Defense type systems.)
>
> If the fighters are overpowering vs FB1 ships, is it because:
>   A) FB1 ships don't carry enough PD?

Partly the problem - some of the FB ships are under-defended wrt PDS.
Not
enough Area Defence firecons, as well.

>   B) The fighter-vs-ship attack rolls are too good?  (ie they have a
> higher hit rate than the PDs.)

I think this is the main problem. Fighters basically have a Beam1 w/
half
the range. There's SIX of the damn things in a full fighter unit (six
fighters). Fighters kill ships faster than PDS kill fighters.

Fighters also have the **HUGE** advantage against big ships that you've
got to wait until fighters close to within THEIR effective firing range
before you can do anything about them. If you can shoot at them, they
can
- and in fact are - shooting at you.

Every other system in the game can, usually, be engaged outside it's own
engagement ranges. Put a big enough Beam on a ship, and you can swat
anything before it gets within the usual B3/B2/SM ranges. Even with the
stock FB ships we're discussing, a cap ship can and will swat DDs & FGs
at
ranges the little ships can't reply at. Fighters can fart around all
they
want, and you can't do a damn thing about it until THEY come in on you!

Think of an FT fighter as a system for getting 6d of damage anywhere you
want on the table, while being invulnerable until you attack. See why I
think stock fighters are grossly underpriced?

The only 'cure' is more fighters on the table, and that, in my
experience,
swiftly ruins any hope of actual on-table tactics. It just comes down to
ship design, specifically "How many PDS are you mounting, and how many
fighter squadrons did you bring?". You may as well use a spreadsheet to
get your results, and leave your ship miniatures in their box... Firing
arcs, maneuverability, etc all cease to matter entirely. (except that
those systems take up space that you "obviously" should have devoted to
PDS & fighter bays...)

>   C) The PDs don't do enough damage to fighters/ect.?
>   D) Is it some combination of the above?
>   E) Or is it really down to player tactics/ship designs/random
results?

D, then, but some of E. See my other post - you can 'correct' this
problem
with custom designs (so E works) but the FB designs still stink vs
fighters as written.

> Any educated answers?

Just my opinions... and everyone else's.

See my other post on my ideas for fixes to the FT fighter system.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/games.html -