Prev: [25mm] Looking for .50 cal and M60 machine guns Next: Moderately bad Dremel advice

DS2 Answers from Beth

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 03:05:34 -0400
Subject: DS2 Answers from Beth

G'day Tom,

> 1. Can vehicles close-assault infantry by
themselves? We
> said yes (let
them use their APSWs as infantry fired
back with their
IAVRs).

Fuzzy line there as it says vehicles can
'support'... so may
be they're 'supporting' they're internal
crews. So I'd say
yes - given DS states vehicles in close
assaults use fire
APSWs.

[Tomb] It is kinda fuzzy. It implies vehicles
can be involved in assaults but never says
if they can go it alone (and what is more, I
can't imagine a RL reason they couldn't... it
might not be wise, but it is possible).

> If so, should being assaulted by tanks
give the defender a
> similar mod to
their
> confidence test to being attacked by PA?

May be. At first I thought yes and then I
thought may be not
as tanks aren't as agile as PA.

[Tomb] True, but I think having a pile of
APSWs to meet the attack with and heavy
armour gives you a lot better chance of
surviving than line infantry, so standing
should be easier (I'd think).

> 2. Can vehicles be close-assualted by
infantry?

If you define specific spots/tanks to attack,
maybe define a
location and if there happens to be a
vehicle sitting on
said spot....

[Tomb] That's essentially what happened.

> If so, shouldn't being in armour give the
defenders some
> positive mods to their confidence test?
Watching size 4
> GEVs run from PA was funny, but
perhaps very much too
> easy.

Well PA assaulted by line infantry don't get
any bonuses, so
maybe vehicles shouldn't either.

[Tomb] Good point. I'm gonna have a real
good rethink about both these morale tests
and see if I can come up with some
compact/sane values to use for test levels
that actually reflect the situations.

> 3. Should odds factor into your morale
tests for CA? 1
> lone PA stand attacking a tank formation
shouldn't be as
> effective as 8 of them.....

I would've only allowed a single stand to
attack a single
tank, not the entire formation. How you
allocate attacks
after that, whether they all mob one (and
thus numbers
counting comes back into play) or they
spread out (like CC
in SG) is more open unless you've defined a
single location
to attack (which DS says you should really
do).

[Tomb] Well, except that the defender has
to make a confidence test to stand, and
IIRC these are made per UNIT not per
ELEMENT. So attacking one tank (which is
effectively what happened) can drive them
all off the objective....

> 5. Reaction fire seems automatic. Should
it maybe have a
> check? Otherwise whoever gets in
position first has
> automatic death dealing to the other
guy. Especially if
> the unit RFing is "under fire"?

I'm having a complete mental blank...
reaction fire? Do you
mean opportunity fire?

[Tomb] Yes. By an artifact of unit numbers
one side was able to have an unactivated
unit in front of a woodsline waiting for the
enemy to show his head. Now, he knew the
enemy was there, the enemy knew he was
there. In real life, he'd drive to the edge
and acquire targets and fire while they
would acquire him as he appeared and fire -
 kind of a shootout. But in the game, all fire
from the sitting unit (opportunity fire)
would occur before any from the moving
unit. That's what bugged me.

> 6. If you have shaken infantry, and they
want to CA an
> enemy, do they make both their
"reaction test for being
> shaky" and a "close assault initiation
test"?

I've always assumed it was covered in the
TL+3 for the CA
test.

[Tomb] I might have missed something...
will look again.

> 7. What happens if you are shaky and try
to do something
> and blow your reaction roll? (moving
towards enemy)? Do
> you do nothing or just can you not do
_that_ and instead
> do something like fire? The Reaction Roll
rule says you
> don't follow the order... but what does
that mean?

I've always treated it like blowing an Under
Fire test...
you can't do that CA or move. If it was a
move action and
you haven't already done a combat action
and you have valid
targets then you could still do a combat
action.

[Tomb] Okay, is this how it is commonly
done by DS2ers? (Or is there some errata
that clears up how this is meant to work?)

You'll find it plays a bit different once
you've done
that... less CAing with infantry unless
they're dug-in ;)

[Tomb] My infantry never saw combat.
They debarked about 20" out from the
objective, their APCs ended up getting
vaporized, and the only things that got to
CA were the PA because a double PA move
+ 2" is 14" and a double infantry move + 2"
is only 6" which is a huge difference. So my
7 stands never saw combat (neither did his
conventional stands) and only the PA
moved/assaulted (it is hard to kill, moves
fast, and forces huge penalties on those it
CAs).

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [25mm] Looking for .50 cal and M60 machine guns Next: Moderately bad Dremel advice