Prev: Re: [OT] Airbrushes was: Re: Moderation Next: Re: A thought about points systems

Re: AMERICA, RIGHT OR WRONG?

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 01:18:19 -0400
Subject: Re: AMERICA, RIGHT OR WRONG?

> but i do not believe wrong is right just  because it is done by an
> AMERICAN.
>
> wrong is wrong.

I'm glad we agree on that.

> but it  went with the job. just like my OATH TO THE  CONSTITUTION, and
> no  person, living or dead.
>
> what was done 100 + years ago  was done; we should  remember it and
> avoid repeating it, but should not  waste time, money or tears over it
> or try to re write  events to make one  party look worse than the
other;
> the facts will  reveal who was in the wrong .

I have a stronger sentaments here.  We should not repeat what we did to
the
American Indians.

I had a history proffessor who said that true history is atleast 100
years
old, because events more recent then that are too charged politically.

> our armed forces have done much more good than evil in this world
during
> the relatively short time of their existence, for uncounted millons of
> non-Americans.
>
> our nation too has done much more good than evl in this world during
the
> relatively short time of our existence, for uncounted millions of non
> Americans.

I think the above two statements depends on who you are.  While in
general
your arguements are valid, some of those who have been harmed, have been
severly devastated.  While we can't go back, hopefully we can stop
making a
lot of the same stupid mistakes.

> all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth or claims to the  countrary
> will not change the  fact that WE-the USA-are the modern world's ONE-
> and- ONLY SUPER  POWER.

I never said we weren't.

> and our day will come when we are surplanted by another SUPER
POWER-that
> is the way things work.

But after that day happens, would you want to see something insulting
and
demeaning of everything that we were on the GZG mailing list?  It's not
that
I love the Soviet's.  I don't; the exact opposite is true.  But I do
have a
very healthy respect for the amount of violence they could inflict, and
that
their technology can still inflict.  And I see nothing to be gained by
encouraging radical political parties in Russia.

As far as Iraq goes, how does removing Sadam Hussien from power increase
the
security of the United States if the process of removing him results in
an
Islamic Fundamentalist revolution in Saudi Arabia?  It doesn't.

> BUT,	until, then, when the crap hits the fan in someplace you never
> heard of or wanted know about, UNCLE SAP sends money, medicine,
shelter,
> food, clothing,  even   soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines, at the
> will of the AMERICAN PEOPLE and the AMERICAN	PRESIDENT.

Actually, there are very few place I haven't heard of, but I was never
normal...

> and i congratulate you for providing the info about scalping
> bounties-did not think you would do so.

I'm glad I surprised you.

> but remember, the Amerindians were not ever pastoral, tree hugging,
> kissy faced and etc. they were  killing each other before the first
> european or chinise evr wandered ashore. . . .

I am fully aware of that.  But the Indians usually assimilated captured
women and young children, not slaughter them.  The Indians considered
each
other as humans; the Europeans and Americans did not consider the
Indians as
humans, and treated them accordingly.

> a fact that tends to be lost in the PC shuffle nowdays.

Agreed.

ias

Prev: Re: [OT] Airbrushes was: Re: Moderation Next: Re: A thought about points systems