Prev: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: ?? I know I'm behind in read my Digest but

Re: A thought about points systems

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:57:02 -0400
Subject: Re: A thought about points systems

From: Roger Burton West
> but what are
> combat-effectiveness points really good for? SG2 doesn't have them
at
> all; DS2 showed how hard they can be to get right. Why bother?
<snip>
> No. A "balanced fight" makes no sense historically or
psychologically,
> for all it's convenient for a game. Can we instead find a way of
> creating realistic battles as pick-up games? And can
> combat-effectiveness points be a useful tool in that process?

On idea I liked was "define a scenario and a defending force.  Bid for
the amount of attacking force that you feel is needed to accomplish
your objective.  Whoever bids a lower attacking force plays the
attacker."  This doesn't work too well for scenarios in which
fog-of-war is important but for pickup games I think it would be okay.

I think what's really needed would be creative ideas for scenarios,
and some description of what makes dense or open terrain and the
effects that they have.

Prev: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: ?? I know I'm behind in read my Digest but