Prev: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye) Next: Re: Moderation of GZG-L (was Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye)

Re: Killfile: Was all sorts of rants and ramblings regarding free speech, rants, mo

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:42:24 -0400
Subject: Re: Killfile: Was all sorts of rants and ramblings regarding free speech, rants, mo

At 12:23 PM -0700 4/29/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>Ok, for those of us still in the computer dark ages, will someone
>explain to me what a killfile is and how to use it?

Well, its actually a Dark Age Computer thing when you get down to it.
Not many main stream mail tools use them as they go for ultra simple
in terms of features.

A kill file is essentially a filter list that automagically deletes
any mail from a particular person, topic, domain, or what ever you
want to use as a chriteria. Its a filter list in other mail tool
terms.

In the the old days of unix mail, UUCP and NNTP feeds mail and news
readers typically had a function that had a list of parameters in a
'kill file', hence the term. Folks would be able to filter out
individuals that offended them, say anything with "kibo" in it if
they had thin skin or hated massive .sig files. In the modern days of
Spam, it's a bit harder to use given the massive number of sources of
spam. One is almost tempted towards dumping mail from all .kr or .ru
domains in some cases...
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -