Prev: RE: Nukes Next: Where is Andrew Ayres Ship Creator?

Blimpishness

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:34:08 -0400
Subject: Blimpishness

1) Imagine a stealth dirigible as an insertion vector for CT or SOF
teams. Quiet, comes in at night so visual cam isn't a big issue, made of
radar absorbing materials, etc. Your SOF team fast-ropes down without
anyone ever hearing the incoming chopper (especially if you can set
yourself up, use wind drift and no motors).

2) Neutralizing an annoying blimp:
	1) C batts or anything else that might reach orbit
	2) Thor satellites (hello Mr. Blimp... try to dodge my fin
stabilized penetrators moving at terminal vee)
	3) Fighters (if the blimp is a big enough menace)

3) Why blimps aren't so safe: Can't manouver quickly enough. A fighter
can both provide offensive punch and defensive countermeasures part of
which are manouver based. The blimp has a more reduced defensive array.
It may have more countermissiles/etc, but it can't dodge HELfire or
other attacks terribly well.

4) Why blimps lack in some cases: One thing I didn't see mentioned is
their ability to operate effectively in storm conditions, high winds,
etc. - They don't usually have enough gusto to push themselves well
through a strong head wind. Not exactly a recommendation if your
infantry guys are depending on yon blimp for support or resupply.

I can see places an LTA vehicle makes lots of sense. I can see good uses
for them in providing eyes in the sky for fleets/ground units especially
on low-intensity conflicts. I can see them being used by SOF. I can see
them being used by logistics command. But they can't handle active
threats too well and they have a significant logistical train themselves
(to launch, recover, or repair).

PS - Make sure you don't use Hydrogen as lift-gas.... ;)

Prev: RE: Nukes Next: Where is Andrew Ayres Ship Creator?