Prev: RE: Battle blimps Next: Re: Battle blimps

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:25:36 -0400
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

At 3:43 PM +0200 4/18/02, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
>Beth.Fulton@csiro.au schrieb:
>>  "a biplane of such low performance that it was difficult
>>  for both monoplane fighters to fly slow enough to hold in
>>  their sights for more than a fleeting moment and for
>>  anti-aircraft guns to track the type with sights calibrated
>>  for use against faster warplanes"
>
>I'm still skeptical.
>
>I could see that it might be a problem with the larger AA guns that
>used mechanical computers to calculate the aiming point.

Given that the Sword fish was mainly a maritime invention. I wonder
if the New german gun computers were the primary issue.

Given how useful the aircraft were for the British against the
Bismark and in the attack on Taranto, I'd have to lend it some
credence.

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: RE: Battle blimps Next: Re: Battle blimps