Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

RE: Battle blimps

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:21:11 -0400
Subject: RE: Battle blimps

At 10:02 PM +1000 4/18/02, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
>G'day,
>
>>  Don't think this is really true for WWII AA guns.
>
>I only had a chance for a cursory dig this evening, but "An Illustrated
Data
>Guide To World War II Maritime Attack Aircraft" notes that
>
>"a biplane of such low performance that it was difficult for both
monoplane
>fighters to fly slow enough to hold in their sights for more than a
fleeting
>moment and for anti-aircraft guns to track the type with sights
calibrated
>for use against faster warplanes"

Those automatic gun sites used some pretty fancy electro mechanical
computers to compute firing angle for all of the lead indicator and
range mechanisms on ships. Not something you can just add a software
update to.
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps