Prev: RE: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: RE: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions

Re: Battle blimps

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:40:12 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Battle blimps

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au schrieb:
> G'day,
>
> One other thought that just hit me. Are modern weapons
> limited by "lowest possible speeds" like some of the WWII
> anti-air stuff. I remember reading once that the Swordfish
> (I think I've got the name right) did well against
> anti-air in WWII as it went to slow for the weapons to
> track it ;)

Don't think this is really true for WWII AA guns. Slow planes were
difficult to hit for fast fighters, mostly because they were very
maneuvrable and could evade rather easily.

> Taking advantage of that via battle blimps or other
> innovations based on "lower tech" warfare could be fun ;)

One rather obvious victim is the Doppler radar used against airplanes.
This is tuned to filter out stationary or slow-moving objects (terrain
or cars). A blimp could well stay below its detection speeds. However,
this would mostly be useful if the blimp is flying low. Against a
high-flying target, the Doppler filter could simply be switched off, as
there isn't anything there to clutter the radar reception.

Greetings

Prev: RE: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: RE: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions