Prev: Re: Completely off topic Next: RE: GEV RVs

Re: GEV RVs

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:47:40 EDT
Subject: Re: GEV RVs

Agreed, hasty fox holes with explosives/PA engineers = yes.  AFV
fighting
positions, seems a bit too much fiction without several quantum leaps in
shaped charge explosives technology.  YMMV.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:01:46 -0700 (PDT) John Atkinson
<johnmatkinson@yahoo.com> writes:

>--- Laserlight <laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:
>> > Well, for a tank it'd be a two-stage problem.
>> First
>> > holes, which needs shaped charges.
>>
>> Thermite grenade?  IIRC the US troops in winter 1944
>> dug foxholes in
>
>Not foxholes for tanks.
>
>A hasty fighting position for an M1 tank should be 32'
>long, 18' wide, and 9' deep.  This is a non-trivial
>problem.
>
>4 holes, 60lbs of explosive each.  Holes would be dug
>with 40lb shaped charges (48" standoff produces a 7'
>hole 14.5" diameter).	That's a modification of the
>setup for a deliberate road crater, with the holes
>evened out to level the bottom of the crater.	That's
>400lbs plus priming.
>
>As near as I can tell, that'll still be a bit narrow
>and might need some fine-tuning with a bit more bang.
>Oh, and the sides will be a bit steep for the tanks to
>roll in and out.  Maybe another one or two hundred lbs
>for fine-tuning.
>
>That's a rough estimate, and would be thrown off by
>the quality of the soil and other environmental
>factors.  Permafrost would mean you'd need at least
>twice the amount of explosives.
>
>I wouldn't want to do it in combat without verifying
>some of my guesses.
>
>John

>Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
>http://taxes.yahoo.com/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Completely off topic Next: RE: GEV RVs