Prev: Re: [SG2] Black Hawk Down Next: Re: GZG range expansions?

Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:20:17 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)

Quoting Indy <kochte@stsci.edu>:

> Well, as for "easy", the one I did sponging (dabbing) came out better
> than straight-up painting by far (still was the "getting there" stage
> ;-).
> You have to be careful to not have *too* much paint on the sponge, or
> not to press too hard when dabbing (lest you fill in the cracks that
> you
> really don't want to fill). The way I did it was to put the sponge
> over
> the opening of the bottle, invert for a moment, revert back, then
> start
> dabbing off the excess paint onto another surface (Stuart showed me a
> new use for all those AOL CDs that come in the mail ;-) ;-) until you
> have just a bit, then start gently dabbing. Keep dabbing until you
> start
> to see a change (and don't forget to move around the vehicle (or
> figure)
> as you dab ;-). When the sponge runs out of paint, smear it around a
> bit
> in the excess you left off on the CD or where ever you wiped, and go
> at
> it again.

> Note: sponging is MUCH harder to do with 1/300 scale tanks than 15mm
> tanks. ;-)  I think I got more paint on my thumb and fingers than I
> did on the vehicles when I was working with them last week.

Ah. *Finally* a use for all those latex sponges that you get in the
"free if
you buy two products" collections from make-up counters...

{They are useless for putting make-up on two counts. One, they don't
fill in
the wrinkles properly, as described above and two, the sponge gets more
of the
make-up than one's face does... fingertips work MUCH better)

Personally, for things like this, I always used to use the synthetic
foam stuff
that comes in blister-packs of minis. It has no other use once you've
opened
the pack, and it's likely to be near at hand. :-)

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: Re: [SG2] Black Hawk Down Next: Re: GZG range expansions?