Prev: Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame) Next: Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together. Long post.

RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 01:08:33 +0200
Subject: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Ryan Gill wrote:

>>>Maybe the type of attack should also modify the ability of ADS/PDs to

>>>defend, since a higher-flying Top Attack GMS/IAVR should present a
>>>slightly juicier target to those systems....
>>
>>That's what I'm thinking as well, yes. Haven't translated it into
actual
>>game mechanics yet though :-/
>
>Except at least one of the top attacks does so by flying directly over
the
>target when coming from the front/side/rear of the target. RBS Bill
does
>this iirc.

BILL? Yes, that's one of our products. Most other current top-attack
ATGMs
use this kind of flight path as well, though the newer types like
Javelin
and some older air-launched types like Hellfire use dive attacks
instead.

The reason the top-attack ATGMs are easier for ADS to stop than
side-attack
missiles are, is that they by definition have to fly above their target
and
therefore can't use the target as a mask against the ADS. Dive-attack
missiles should probably be even more vulnerable to this than OTA-style
ones like BILL, but the main difference is between side-attack missiles
on
one hand and all types of top-attack missiles on the other - the
top-attack
ones have to give the ADS a free line of sight when it pops up for the
attack, while the side-hitting ones don't.

You do have one point, though appearently not the one you intended:
OTA-style missiles like BILL can't easily switch between side- and
top-attack modes due to the way their warhead is mounted. Dive-attack
missiles like Javelin and Hellfire *can* switch between side- and
top-attack modes, since their warhead is facing straight forward.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.