Prev: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points Next: Re: [DSII] Walker Minis

RE: Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together. Long post.

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:44:12 -0400
Subject: RE: Re: [DS] Capacity, Points - Trying to put it all together. Long post.

<snip Adrian's dissertation>

I don't think this is needful, because:
a) economic variables will differ by background, but also by nation
within the background.	Example: the Alarishi economy demands that the
army have the lowest possible manpower but they make up for it with
bleeding edge tech; the Islamic Fed could misplace a few battalions and
not notice but doesn't have the tech.  Country A has the resources to
build aircraft but doesn't have a production line set up for ground
vehicles.  Country B has a prohibition against AIs which means that GMS
cost double.  You'd have to recalculate the Econ values for every
nation.

b) therefore I'd just provide tactical points and let people play around
with the economics as they wish.  You might make suggestions like "high
tech countries pay -40% on electronics gear, +100% on crew costs" or
"whoever does not own a balonium mine pays double for HEL, fire controls
and battlefield comms", but I don't think you need more than
suggestions.

c) for size points, why not just say "for the GZGverse, up to 100 points
= size 1, 200 points = size 2" etc and give people the option to go up
or down a size at a rebate or cost.  If you want to avoid a hard
breakpoint, say "design it and add 2d10 to the points total--if result
is over 100, it's size 2".  (I'm pulling "100 points" out of the air, I
don't have a feel for DS costs).  And people who want ubertanks or mini
tanks can change the points brackets to suit themselves.

Prev: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points Next: Re: [DSII] Walker Minis