Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Stuart's painting tips

DS3 points system

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:38:04 -0400
Subject: DS3 points system

Someone (John A?) brought up that certain
force combos will always get smoked by certain
others, even with equal points.

Whereas I agree with this, using a capacity +
points system or a capacity only system is
going to no more address this situation than
flying to the moon.

I never considered the point of the discussion
whether it was possible to make an unbreakable
point system (you and I both know something
as simple as how you lay out the map can have
everything to do with how the game goes).

I agree scenario balancing is the way to go....
but I can also see the point that new players
might want point systems (*wince*). Points do,
as Oerjan pointed out (no pun intended), give a
vague idea of performance and make for a
starting point for balancing scenarios.

And as to the point about miniature sizes.... if
you don't have agreement on that with the
other player before the game starts (and some
intel on the probable vehicle rough design),
then you are playing some sort of first contact
(or poor intel) scenario and can expect
surpirses. And if you and the other player can't
sort tell each other, when a unit appears "This is
a bit big, but it actually has a D4 signature die
due to stealth", then problems will happen
regardless of the details of the point or
capacity system.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Stuart's painting tips