Prev: Re: [fiction - news report] PAU frees hostages; rebel leader escapes Next: Re: [SGII] Mortars questions

FMA/SGII (non)points system for DSIII

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 01:20:19 -0500 (EST)
Subject: FMA/SGII (non)points system for DSIII

On  5-Apr-02 at 18:27, Tomb (tomb@dreammechanics.com) wrote:
> 1) Point systems:
> Yes, a capacity-only point system could work, but it needs a mechanism
> for miniaturization to allow construction of minis that don't match...

I've already provided that.  A size three vehicle has variable capacity
based on tech level.  This reflects miniaturization of components.

> Cap only system is one way to go (hard to get right), points only is
> another (hard but not as hard to get right), and cap + points is (as
OO
> pointed out) harder by x4 to get right.

Why is this any harder to get right?  We have just gotten away from:
Weapon X kill Y% of the time unless the opponent has A mods to armour
in which case it kill B% of the time out to range L in which case
it kills M%.

How do you point that?	Especially when you have various survibility
based on armour type and various mobilities.

Everyone in this discussion has freely admitted that points systems
don't work.  When something doesn't work I have this odd tendancy
to discard it.	Call me strange but I just can't see wasting time
on SOMETHING THAT WILL BE BROKEN NO MATTER HOW I DESIGN IT.  I
like the point system in SGII.	Why don't we use something we know
will work?

Really want a points system?  Make an economic unit system that
overlays the capacity based design system.  That's the way it
works in the real world.  I know, trying to do something in the
style of reality is heresy, but since the alternative WILL NOT
WORK maybe it should be considered.  State, in the rules that
a vehicles cost does not necessarily indicate its' combat
capability.

It may be a lost cause.  Everyone is comfortable with a points
system and they don't mind the constant b*tching that goes with
them when equivalent cost vehicles aren't equally combat affective.

Prev: Re: [fiction - news report] PAU frees hostages; rebel leader escapes Next: Re: [SGII] Mortars questions