Prev: RE: DS3 points or no points Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@t...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:56:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 06:04:51PM +0200, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> Right, I agree that the vehicles have the same capabilities.
> However, why have you defined vehicle B as size 3 ?
> You have wasted the available space.
> If you had equipped it with more weaponry or more armor, it might
justify
> Size3, and then paying for Stealth to get the signature down to 2
makes
> sense.
> As it is, vehicle B is a quite inefficient design. And I don't think a
> points system should reward major design errors.

Notable fallacy: You're assuming that we're using the current Size
definition.  In this case, we're definitely not.  Size, in this sense,
becomes an arbitrary value.  Replace it with Signature, if you so
desire, and leave the physical description of the beast out of it (as
it might be anything from a 3ft long tracked drone to a 30ft long
tank, so long as its armour and weaponry match).

In fact, for that matter, ignore Stealth alltogether; it becomes just
another bit of fluff explaining why your 30ft long tank has the same
Signature as a 2-man Jeep.

Now its no longer an issue of efficiency, instead its simply a matter
of /describing the capability of the vehicle/, which was the whole
bloody point in the first place.  We don't /care/ how physically large
the thing is, that's meaningless information.  All we care about is
the game-mechanical impact and capabilities.  Gundams are bloody
enormours upright walking beheamouths, but they have relatively low
Signatures because of Minovsky particle scattering.  Pure hand-wavium,
and mechanically, we don't care.  All we care is about the Signature
d6 rating.

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@telocity.com)   |	 http://www.chancel.org

====
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
the  |
same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it
is|
their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
provide|

Prev: RE: DS3 points or no points Next: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)