Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: DS3 points

RE: [DS] Points system

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:42:41 +0200
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system

Brendan Robertson wrote:

>I think one of the strengths of the DS/SG vehicle construction is the
>Capacity Point system.  Just like real life, you have to make tradeoffs
>between what you want and what you can actually get.
>The only problem at the moment, is that the combat capabilities are
>undercosted in points for balancing your forces.

The problem is those small words "Just like real life". The tradeoffs in

the DS2 system are very firmly tied to the game background - which is
effectively David Drake's Vietnam War experience with some high-tech
gadgets slapped on. If you want to play in another background, the
design
system doesn't work - which is why high-tech forces in DS2 tend get
crushed
by (far) more numerous low-tech enemies.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it again: from what I know of
the
weapon and other systems under development today, DS2 is probably the
best
game for armoured warfare in the 2010-2020 AD period that we have on the

market today. Trouble is, that's pretty much the *only* background the
DS2
vehicle design system works for... so unless you dump the vehicle design

system, the game is not a generic SciFi ground combat game.

>A random though regarding armour...
>
>If we push the capacity of vehicles to 10 x size class, and make every
>facing of armour cost capacity (including top and bottom).

This has a certain kind of resemblance to the ideas Brian Bilderback,
Beth
and I discussed here a year or two ago ;-)

("The name of the certain kind of resemblance that it bears, is
'identity'." Kudos to those who identify this quote <g>)

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: DS3 points