Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: DS3 features

RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:30:09 -0500
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)

At 11:38 AM -0800 4/4/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>One of the other B^2's wrote:
>
>>Size: Size should be kept. It provides for a base to the targeting
signature
>>and capacity. Size itself should not have a cost.
>
>Eliminate capacity altogether (Except for cargo).  Targeting
>signature should be based on what you pay for it.    However, "size"
>*IS* a consideration for cargo carrying ability/requirements, and
>for bridge/structure transiting, and thus SHOULD cost -  X points to
>carry X cargo, adjust total cost by Y based on space required to
>carry it and structural integrity required to support said vehicle.
>in terms of using size to determine the threat of the vehicle,
>that's more of an honor system thing anyway.

How do you rate the comparative capacities and sizes of various
vehicles? I've always thought size was exceedingly useful for gauging
a number of things. Its' far easier to deal with that Tonnage and
critical spaces.

How many Non size units of infantry can you carry in a given size
vehicle?

>Here I have to disagree.  Both speed and mobility type tie in
>directly to combat efficiency - you can have the biggest gun in the
>world, but if it can't move into firing position, you're screwed.
>faster vehicles are not only harder to kill, they have a better
>chance of getting first kill chance against other vehicles.

More accurately a faster and more mobile vehicle can reach objectives
faster and can be in a position to use it's weapons in a more
expedient and efficient manner.

>Various movement types should have a multiplier
>>(hand-wave example: tracks are 1.0, GEV 0.8, Wheeled 0.7, Grav 1.2,
>>Amphibious 1.1, VTOL 2.0, Aerospace 3.0, etc.)
>
>Agreed.

I preferred the low vs high mobility concepts too. A cheap low
mobility wheeled truck can't go as many places as a high mobility
wheels APC can.

>Unless we do away with capacity.  Signature should be a multiplier
>of other costs.  Example:  Which is more useful on the field, all
>else being equal:  A small vehicle with miniaturized weapons, or a
>large vehicle with bulky weapons that have the same range/damage as
>the miniaturized weapons, but the vehicle has enough stealth to make
>it as hard to hit as the small vehicle?  Neither - if ability to
>avoid getting hit and ability to lay on the hurt are equal, point
>value should be equal.

I still think that the size/capacity system is very efficient and
useful.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: DS3 features