Prev: RE: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey

From: "Robert Minadeo" <raminad@e...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:22:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey

> I suppose the other question I should have asked is whether people
> actually like buildings on the battlefield or see them as a specific
plot
> device to be used occasionally.

Buildings are plot specific and many of my games do not feature any.
Still
things like raids on labs, find out what happened to Research Outpost
Alpha,
etc to require buildings to be convincing.

> As to the questions about the paper buildings I have done. Yes they
> are designed to be printed out in colour and glued together.
> I'm trying to get pictures of the finished articles up on my website
> when I do you'll be able to judge for yourselves whether they look
> too papery or not.

I use quite a few paper buildings in my Western games and am quite happy
with them.

Though I've not built any of yours they look like they would go together
well and look great once constructed.

Folks should also keep in mind that there are many ways to enhance the
appearance of card buildings. For one thing mounting walls on matt board
or
foam core can do a lot to avoid a flimsy appearance. So can a dedicated
textured base. Of course once you start reinforcing card buildings you
can
not longer just fold them flat when not needed.

Another trick is to add detailed bits to the building. Using balsa to
frame
doors and windows is one of the easiest things to do here. Once painted
blend in the balsa goes far towards creating a more 3D look.

Finally one of the simplest ways to improve the look of the things it to
use
marker or a fine brush to color the edges of the paper that will
sometimes
show once the building is completed.

Regards,
Bob

Prev: RE: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)